Institute for Ethnic Studies is a public research institute and has six organizational units:
- Research Unit, the central unit of the Institute, carries out most research activities and is internally organized in research programme and project teams that often involve also researchers and scholars from other institutions;
- In ternational Center for Interethnic Relations and Minorities in South Eastern Europe that includes individuals from other units and collaborators from diverse institutions (mostly from Europe);
- Branch office lendava/lendva
- Specialized Information and Documentation (INDOC) Center with a rich specialized library and archives;
- Administrative unit/service.